Dynetics, a wholly owned subsidiary of Leidos, is seeking a talented Senior Spacecraft Mechanical Lead Engineer to join a diverse team to create unique solutions for complex problems. With offices across the United States engaging in the defense, aerospace, cyber, space and commercial fields, Dynetics provides responsive, cost effective engineering, scientific and IT solutions.
This position will lead the establishment of a Dynetics spacecraft integration capabilities in Huntsville, AL. The Senior Mechanical Engineer for spacecraft integration and test will lead the mechanical integration and test flow for a spaceflight instrument or system, design and build the mechanical ground support equipment (MGSE) to safely handle critical hardware, identify the facilities and tools required, and coordinate the execution of critical hardware assembly and test operations. The Senior Spacecraft Mechanical Engineering Lead will partner with Leadership and other Leidos entities to build a transition plan from current R&D activities to production.
The Mechanical Engineering Lead will provide critical input in life-cycle design and producibility reviews, the definition of facility requirements, selection, activation, and commissioning. Key responsibilities will include the following:
- Design high-level satellite assembly architecture, manage /Conduct spacecraft integration build flow and test operations
- Develop assembly and integration test plans and procedures based on concepts and designs. Refine processes based on lessons learned.
- Evaluate proposed and existing designs for manufacturability and integration. Interface with both engineers and technicians to optimize manufacturing and automation
- Providing labor and schedule estimates for low-rate initial production
- Developing tooling and equipment needs and partnering with Supply Chain teammates on acquisition. Responsibility for the certification, usage, and maintenance of MGSE designed for project
- Enable day-to-day execution of the vehicle integration and test flow, perform precision assembly of small-scale and large-scale mechanical and electromechanical assemblies.
- Evaluate non-conformances to determine root cause and create actionable items and system improvements
The candidate selected for this position will lead a high-impact project within the Dynetics manufacturing organization that will be a dynamic environment and a high growth area.
- Bachelor of Science (or greater) degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or other relevant engineering discipline with 5+ years of test and integration experience
- OR, High School diploma, GED, or equivalent with 20+ years of applicable experience.
- Ability to interpret detailed component performance specifications and Interface Control Drawings (ICD), including assembly manufacturing drawings, parts lists, and assess engineering changes for impacts
- Candidate must have experience in spacecraft sensor and/or spacecraft assembly, test and integration, with an understanding of quality requirements for such products.
- Experience writing test plans, procedures and providing go/no-go judgment and rationale. Documentation and configuration management experience.
- A qualified candidate must have experience in manufacturing or processing of space hardware in a clean-room environment.
- Experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance (GD&T) standards and preparation of manufacturing documentation
- Practical experience with the design, fabrication, assembly, and qualification of MGSE hardware
- Experience environmental testing of space hardware, including: Thermal Vacuum, Vibration Test, Mass Properties and Shock testing.
- Experience with large scale assembly (torque wrenches) and integration efforts involving crane-assisted lifts
- Candidate must be a resident of the North Alabama area or willing to relocate to the Huntsville - North Alabama, AL area.
- Experience in production readiness reviews and concurrent engineering activities to ensure design for manufacturability on new designs of large machined components
- Experience experience with alignment and metrology verification activity planning and execution. Knowledge of precision measurement equipment and processes (e.g. laser trackers, probing, CMM, etc)
- Familiarity with Manufacturing Execution Systems
- Familiarity with Deltek Costpoint accounting software
- Experience with AS9100, IPC, and DCMA standards
- Experience leading integration activities with emphasis on timely, high quality manufacturing
- Demonstrated expertise in Lean principles, Visual Management and continuous improvement
- Strong background in the Aerospace Industry
Candidate must be a US Citizen and possess (and be able to maintain) a Final Secret Clearance or meet the eligibility to obtain (and maintain) a Secret Clearance.