Dynetics Technical Solutions (DTS), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Dynetics, is seeking a Tool Designer to join a diverse team to create unique solutions for complex problems. With offices across the United States engaging in the defense, space, cyber and commercial fields, Dynetics provides responsive, cost-effective engineering, scientific and IT solutions.
The position will be responsible for creating and the continuous improvement of tooling fixtures and functional gauging related to 5-axis machined parts and assembly. The candidate will provide technical expertise within a team to develop and implement those designs. This position will be required hands on work with manufacturing engineers, design engineers, 5-axis programmers, machinists, and quality assurance to create solutions for tooling, rapid changeover, and inspection and machined parts.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Proficient with 3D CAD/CAM software including modeling, assemblies, BOM, and drawing creation
- Work with programmers and machinists to develop process flow to develop work packages and solve development solutions
- Design tooling fixtures and functional gauging including manufacturing models and drawing packages for manufacture
- Assist Manufacturing Engineers to create detailed work instructions, mfg. sketches, and other shop floor documentation
- Understanding of model based definition and GD&T as well as customer specifications
- Develop technical solutions to complex problems, using a data driven approach
- Reviews preliminary product designs. Assists in making recommendations to reduce costs and improve manufacturability and quality on new or existing parts
- Provide shop-floor support as necessary to resolve technical and manufacturing issues
- Work with the Estimating team, provide production times & related costing when quoting new work
- Utilize root cause analysis, preventative and corrective action to reduce/eliminate non-conformances
- Maintain positive, team relationships with internal and external customers, as well as co-workers
- Identify areas of unnecessary cost and research documented methods and procedures for cost reductions
- Assists the manufacturing team with the development, justification, and execution of long range plans to meet corporate objectives.
- Product Launch Activities
- Plant Layouts
- Engineer Change Control Activities
- Assists in developing project set-up and changeover procedures
- Perform additional duties as assigned
- BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or a related field with at least 5 years’ experience in tool, part, or machine design
- OR AS Degree in Mechanical Design, Drafting, Engineering Technology, or a related field with at least 8 years’ experience in tool, part, or machine design
- OR High School Diploma with 10+ years’ experience in CAD in a manufacturing and machining, preferably in Aerospace environment
- Ability to create, read, and interpret drawing with GD&T
- Works independently with minimal supervisory direction
- Strong organizational, communication and leadership skills
- Positive attitude with a focus on solving problems in a team atmosphere
- Proficiency with PC’s (Microsoft Office) and CAD software
- Excellent mechanical aptitude and mechanic skills
- Familiarity with ISO9000 and AS9100 industry standards, and common military specifications
- Candidate must be a resident of the North Alabama area or willing to relocate to the Huntsville - North Alabama, AL area.
Preference shown to candidates who have experience and/or working knowledge of:
- Significant SolidWorks, CREO, CATIA experience
- Surfcam and/or CATIA CAM experience and Vericut simulation experience
- Lean Manufacturing Principles and Application
- Tooling and Fixture Design
- Certified GD&T knowledge
- Military and Aerospace assembly techniques
Candidate must be a US Citizen and possess (and be able to maintain) a Final Secret Clearance or meet the eligibility to obtain (and maintain) a Secret Clearance.