Dynetics, a wholly owned subsidiary of Leidos, is seeking a talented Materials Modeling Engineer to join a diverse team to create unique solutions for complex problems. With offices across the United States engaging in the defense, space, cyber and commercial fields, Dynetics provides responsive, cost effective engineering, scientific and IT solutions.
A successful candidate would be capable of engaging in multidisciplinary problem-solving activities as a part of a diverse team in a fast-paced research and development/rapid-prototyping environment. Additionally, a successful candidate would be comfortable taking ownership of material modeling tasks that support both internal and external customers.
The responsibilities include, but are not limited to, performing background research, learning and leveraging commercial software packages, and developing custom models to solve complex materials problems that involve multiple physical phenomena such as heat/mass transport, phase changes and chemical reactions under steady-state and transient conditions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or one of the Physical Sciences from an accredited institution with 4+ years of direct experience performing materials modeling and simulation.
- Must be proficient in utilizing a programming language (e.g. MATLAB, Python) to perform data analysis and/or modeling.
- Must have a strong foundation in physics, chemistry, mathematics, and materials science principles.
- Must have demonstrated experience in developing multi-physics models to solve scientific or engineering problems. In particular a strong background in heat transport coupled with phase transformation and/or chemical reactions is desired.
- Must have demonstrated experience interpreting and evaluating the credibility of data from a model along with experience diagnosing anomalous results from modeling excursions.
- Must be comfortable in a fast-paced environment with challenging deadlines, and the pressure of handling multiple projects and assignments.
- Must have demonstrated experience developing modeling plans that have been successfully executed within time and budget constraints.
- Must be willing to take ownership, enjoy taking on new challenges, have the ability to overcome technical barriers, and be self-motivated.
- Must be comfortable supporting experimentation and test execution efforts.
The successful candidate must have:
- A strong work ethic and be a positive team player
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience participating in the generation of technical documents, proposals and/or report writing
Candidates with the followign desired qualifications will be given preference:
- Master’s Degree in Engineering or one of the Physical Sciences with 10 years hands on experience
- Materials modeling thesis work
- Experience in analyzing large experimental datasets using statistical methods
- Demonstrated experience in developing and validating materials processing models that combine thermal, chemical reaction and phase change effects; examples include, but are not limited to:
- Additive manufacturing process modeling
- Material ablation modeling
- Ceramic matrix composite process modeling
Candidate must be a US Citizen and possess (and be able to maintain) a Final Top Secret/SSBI Clearance or meet the eligibility to obtain (and maintain) a Final Top Secret Clearance.
In order to enter Dynetics facilities in the U.S. and to attend Dynetics events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated or have an approved exemption on file for COVID-19. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.